Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Att skriva är som att skiva salami

"Years ago a time management expert named Edwin Bliss told me that the biggest mistake we make with a big project is to make it too daunting. He says the key is to break big projects down into manageable segments. It's a little big like cutting a big old ugly hunk of salami into appetizing slices. That's what you need to do with your writing time and or else will avoid it like the plague. I used Bliss' brilliant little strategy to trick myself into writing each day. For the first six months I told myself I was only going to write for 15 minutes a day. Fifteen minutes was my personal salami slice, and it was never hard to manage. Over time it became easier so I extended the fifteen minutes to thirty and then sixty and then to about two and half hours on each day of weekend. Sometimes I write even longer than that but I never plan on more. On weekdays I aim for an hour. There's something else that I found is helpful if your time is limited. Set a goal of pages to accomplish during your writing block. It pushes you to that amount. And if they aren't great, you can edit them later. "
Karen White i "How to write a book when you have no time"

No comments: